Christian fiction is becoming an increasingly important genre—witness its increased prominence in publications like Booklist and Library Journal—and its inclusion in collections can bring a new community of users into your library. Barbara Walker, author of Developing Christian Fiction Collections for Children and Adults (1998), has written this comprehensive guide that meets the specific reading interests of children and families. This guide:
• Helps librarians understand Christian fiction and its origins
• Provides guidance for dealing with challenges to its inclusion in collections
• Offers suggestions for establishing selection guidelines and policies
• Lists sources for guiding acquisitions
• Includes ideas for marketing, promoting and programming with Christian materials
• Compiles a core list of recommended books, literary series, DVDs and videos with annotations and reviews.
• Delivers lists of award-winning titles, author biographies, and a guide to Christian fiction publishers.
Walker recommends a core collection that is sure to appeal to young readers and their families. Librarians can use the informative entries to develop reading lists, storytimes, or theme-related activites.